Configuration Management tools for Oracle/SQL database definitions?

From: Nels P. Olsen <Nels.Olsen_at_PentaTechInc.com>
Date: 1997/01/20

We are a software vendor of a large, integrated application suite. The (Oracle) database definition evolves rapidly, and is currently nearing 1000 tables. Several years ago we wrote our own upgrade utility, but it does not handle Oracle 7 features (triggers, stored procedures, integrity constraints). It also deals poorly with LONG datatypes.

To complicate matters, we keep the current database definition in a database itself. Our in-house upgrade utilities compare an existing database definition to the abtract definition in our "database definition database", and generate appropriate SQL DDL statements to reconcile that existing database's structure to the "official release" definition.

We'd rather use a 3rd party solution rather than enhance our home-brew tools. Do commercial tools like this exist? Has anyone else attempted to create utilities to upgrade SQL database definitions from one arbitrary configuration to another?

--
Nels P. Olsen
Senior Software Engineer