Re: text search on multiple table columns.

From: Rainer Hoerbe <rhoerbe_at_netpromote.co.at>
Date: 1997/01/20

On Sun, 12 Jan 1997 05:15:07 GMT, klockhar_at_sprynet.com wrote:

>I was just wondering if anybody knows of a quick and efficient way to
>do a text search on multiple records in multiple tables. The main
>table is populated with over 52,000 records. Unfortunatly, the
>clients server is only running a P133 with 32 meg of ram.
>
>What I need to be able to do is search all varchar2 fields in all
>tables that are associated with the main table and its primary key.
>
> If anyone could be of assistance please reply in this group or e-mail
>me.
>
>Thanks Keith Lockhart.

B-tree indexes are not useful if you searching on multiple keys ..

use either a separate look-up table where you duplicate all key values in a single collumn, or use Oracle Context, which might be helpful if you search for words in strings.

OR .. dump the whole thing to a flat file, and use Perl to search on it. Use DBMS_PIPE to communicate with the Perl deamon and UTL_FILE to add records to the file.

---
Rainer Hoerbe / ARGE Netpromote
rhoerbe_at_netpromote.co.at
---