Re: Problem for WebServer 2.0 on N.T.

From: Lun Wing San (Oracle) <"Lun>
Date: 1997/01/17

Alan Cheung wrote:

> My problem is, the web listener seems to crash the NT server once its got
> about 2000-3000 hits. Sometimes it came out with an NT memory error
> message saying memory couldn't be read or written. Even if its not
> crashed, the server seems to response extremely slow, and this happens
> gradually. That means, once I reboot the server, it goes really fast
> again, and after about several thousand hits, it becomes slower and slower.
> It seems like this is the problem with the listener, because when I try to
> restart the listener from the service menu under control panel, it would
> restart and then it would usually crash, which forces me the reboot the
> machine. I tried to contact the Oracle supporting team but what I got from
> them is that they don't know much about NT version. What I could think of
> the cause is that it's actually a bug for the webserver that it wouldn't
> free up memory after every access.

  First of all, please check with your alert.log and svxxxx.log to confirm the errors. If you believe it is due to the listener. I think you can try to do several things to solve problems such as adding more dispatchers or use prespawn server based on your configuration.

> Also, because of this, I am think of switching the web-site to UNIX
> platform. I have been recently looking at the SGI Origin 200 server. Does
> anyone know if its suitable for this purpose, cause I thought Oracle in
> UNIX version is much more stable.

  UNIX can provide more resources. As a result, it is not a bad choice.

  If you have any question, free feel to contact me by phone or by email.

---
Name   : Lun Wing San
Title  : Oracle Application Developer of Hong Kong Productivity Council
         Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841