Displaying LONG fields in a Des2K generated WEB application

From: Mike Barnes <mikeb_at_cyberstore.ca>
Date: 1997/01/15

We have to display LONG fields in a WEB page generated with designer 2000, but of course
in the generator it only seems to support 255 char max, which works fine as long as the
LONG is not longer than 255 (that's a lot of longs). If it is longer than 255, I get the following PL/SQL data error in the browser:

        Error

        The following unhandled error has occured in the routine MTNPUBIN$PUBINFO.FormView:

        ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error

        Please contact your support representative.

I went into the generated PL/SQL code and found the LONG field, and I figure that I can
somehow change the definition of the field that's long in the database and varchar2 in
the code to long in the code, then display it in an HTML table. What I need to do with this long field is at least display and at best allow modification of Rich Text stored in a LONG.

Has anyone tried something like this, or do you have any ideas about how to do it?

Please reply by email.

Regards,
Mike Barnes
Cyberstore Systems Inc.
mikeb_at_cyberstore.ca Received on Wed Jan 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message