Client/Server Research

From: Carol Shipman Johnston <csjohnst_at_unca.edu>
Date: 1997/01/09

CLIENT/SERVER RESEARCH OPPORTUNITY Has your organization transitioned to client server technology within the last 24 months? Are you interested in participating in a study of transition techniques? In return for your participation, YOU WILL RECEIVE A COPY OF THE STUDY RESULTS. I am a computer science student at the University of North Carolina at Asheville. I am conducting a research project about transitioning to client/server technology. I hope to identify some areas of difficulty organizations have experienced in transitioning to client/server technology and some of the techniques they have used to achieve a successful transition.

Printed below this message is a brief questionnaire. Please take a few minutes to report on the successes and difficulties you experienced in your transition to client/server. Your name and the name of your organization will be kept confidential.

Please return your questionnaire to me at the address below.

                                Thank you,

				Carol Johnston
				csjohnst_at_bulldog.unca.edu

QUESTIONNAIRE ABOUT TRANSITION TO CLIENT/SERVER TECHNOLOGY PART 1: DATA ABOUT RESPONDENT AND THE ORGANIZATION
Date_________________

Name_______________________________Title________________________________

Organization_____________________________________________________________

Address_________________________________________________________________

Phone______________________________E-Mail_______________________________

What is the nature of your organization's business?

PART 2: DATA ABOUT THE TRANSITION TO CLIENT/SERVER

  1. a) Was the IS staff responsible for developing and implementing the transition to client/server technology adequate in terms of:
  2. number of staff? Yes_______ No________
  3. level of expertise in client/server technology? Yes____No______
  4. Explain.
  5. Were those who were responsible for implementing the client/server technology involved in:
    1. the decision to transition to client/server? Yes________No________
    2. the design of implementation strategies for the transition? Yes_______No_______
  6. a) Which of the following were used in your organization's client/server system: ___________LAN ___________WAN
  7. Explain, if necessary:
  8. Check the appropriate category below to indicate the current status of your organization's transition to client/server technology: 1)________just beginning 2)________about half complete 3)________nearly complete 4)________complete

PART 3: EVALUATION OF THE TRANSITION TO CLIENT/SERVER

  1. a) Describe the factor which you feel had the greatest positive influence on the transition to client/server technology.
  2. Explain why it had a positive effect.
  3. a) Describe the factor which you feel had the greatest negative influence on the transition to client/server technology.
  4. Explain why it had a negative effect.
  5. Describe one strategy you used to counteract this negative influence.
  6. Was this strategy (described in "c" above) successful? Yes____NO_____ Explain:
  7. Rate the influence each of the items listed below had on the success of the organization's transition to client/server technology. Use the following scale:
 0 - No importance
 1 - Slightly important
 2 - Moderately important
 3 - Very important

 Technological Issues
_____Selection of specific hardware
_____Selection of specific software
_____Integration of client/server/middleware
_____Capacity of system to support increased expectations in future
_____Transfer of data to client/server system
_____Response time of network
_____Integration of multiple platforms
_____Security of system (physical security and/or control of access)
_____Number of clients
_____Other -

 		Describe:__________________________________________________

_____Other -
Describe:__________________________________________________
_____Other -
Describe:__________________________________________________

 Nontechnological Issues
_____Master transition plan
_____Support from management
_____Acceptance by IS staff
_____Acceptance by users
_____Training IS staff
_____Training users
_____Support of a change agent or transition management firm
_____Other -

 		Describe:__________________________________________________

_____Other -
Describe:__________________________________________________
_____Other -
Describe:__________________________________________________

4. a) Check which of the following you think had the greater influence on the outcome of the transition?
____________Technological issues
____________Nontechnological issues

 b) Explain.

5. a) Rate the overall success of your transition based on the scale below:________

 4 - Highly Successful
 3 - Successful
 2 - Somewhat Successful
 1 - Unsuccessful

 b) Explain.

6. Add any additional comments about factors which you think were significant to the transition. (Optional) Received on Thu Jan 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message