Forms 4.5 GPF on Property Classes

From: Phillips <philhome_at_lex.infi.net>
Date: 1997/01/07

Recently I was having signifigant trouble with form 4.5 losing property classes. My development group references object groups from Forms on the server. I had read in this news group of others having the same problem and I tried all of the suggestions posted. Oracle's response was that this was a problem with the current release to be fixed in the next. I did find a solution that worked for me and might help others with this problem. The way I found the problem was to look at the Object Group's children. I noticed that according to the order that the 'children' appeared in the referenced form and looking for the property class I had lost, the name would be a duplicate of another. For example, if I lost one called DISLPAY_ITEM, the spot of the DISPLAY_ITEM would have a name of another property class already in the list. You cannot change the name of the property class back to what it should be or it further corrupts the names of other property classes. To fix this situation I converted the form to a fmt. I opened this with Word and searched for the name of the property class that I lost. If you notice the structure of the FMT you will notice the method that it stores these property classes. When you find the One you have lost you will notice that that one has two names. The first is the correct name and the second will be the duplicate name that you saw in the Object Group's children. Delete the second name making sure that this entry now looks like the rest do. Now convert the FMT back to a binary FMB. (This is under File, Admininstration, Convert in Designer). This is not a perfect solution as you have to put the Property classes back on the items that lost them, But for my group Forms 4.5 would GPF if you tried to remove the Object Group. Many forms were started from scratch before we found a way to fix this. Hope it hepls.

David Phillips
Programmer/Analyst Received on Tue Jan 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message