Re: Integrity checking question

From: AMARENDRA B NETTEM <nettama_at_charlie.cns.iit.edu>
Date: 1997/01/06

Keith Shave wrote:

> I have a set of seven tables, called table1 .. table7. Table1
> is the highest level table. If there is something to be put into table2,
> then something will have to be inserted into table1 as well. Likewise, if
> something is to be inserted into table5, then something has to be inserted
> into table1 through table4 as well. What would be a smart way to
> implement this?
>
> -Keith
>
> --
>
> kshave_at_minet.gov.mb.ca

The best way is ----

1. disable all the constraints
2. insert the data into the tables
3. enable the constraints and handle the exceptions
(Ex: alter table x enable constraint y EXCEPTIONS INTO EXCEPTIONS) (YOU HAVE TO RUN THE SCRPIT UTLEXCPT.SQL TO CREATE EXCEPTIONS TABLE). HOPE THIS HELPS
--
  AMARENDRA B NETTEM ( http://www.iit.edu/~nettama)
  ORACLE CONSULTANT