Printing to remote Win95 network printers

From: John Metcalfe <JOHN_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: 1996/12/29

About a fortnight ago I submitted the article / query which follows below my further questions. I received two reply (copies attached) Thank-you.

Unfortunately my ISP's news server has long since deleted the original articles. (the Christmas season has kept me away from the net too). Anyway I'm hoping for further enlightenment 'cause, although the replies help I need more.

Possible Banyan solution.
Joel Garry suggests a way Banyan might be used. Unfortunately the Banyan client we are using does not support Banyan's 'PCprint" command on a Win 95 machine. Which, basically, is where the whole problem starts. The server becomes a useless link which hangs off at the side of the whole network (a bit like an appendix, waiting to go wrong!). We don't want to upgrade the whole Banyan server software for a number of reasons. i) We've been told that, although it solves the problem, it is impossibly slow for Win95 boxes. ii) we've found Banyan upgrades to be difficult to implement – NewRev does not always work with Win95 boxes. We know how to make it work, but if it goes wrong it gets very messy very fast. iii) we're quite possibly going to change to NT anyway so don't really want to put ourselves through the pain.

Possible 'non-server' solution.
So we're looking for a non-server based solution. Which leads to Micheal Short's reply.

How do I connect a printer directly to the network? The network is running TCP/IP, Vines protocol and NetBEIU.

Alternatively Micheal suggests "To print from the WIN95 machine, use a file server to direct the print jobs.". This sounds like a path I have tried to go down. I tried running a 'print-server' on the Win95 machine. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work and it is freeware/shareware and I couldn't get any support. Does anybody know of a 'proper' commercial package?

Could I add to what I said before that we are running the GUI version of the Oracle Financials and that we are running the package on Pentium 120 machines running Win95.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

John

>This seems to me like many would be doing it already. Yet I find myself
trying to re-invent the wheel!

>How do you arrange for reports to be transported, via TCP/IP, from a
remote Unix installation to a Win95 machine and be printed?

>We have just installed Oracle financials database package on a remote
provider's Unix machine. Internally we use a Banyan network, which may be superceded, - (so we don't want to be painted into any corners!). We are also using a lot of MS Windows networking to share printers. We are accessing the Oracle financials database package database using TCP/IP on a ISDN line. What we need to be able to do is print reports generated by the Oracle financials package to printers attached to machines on our network - basically Windows network printers. Do I need to add more?

>Thanx

>PS I'm pretty new to the Unix envirionment.

John Metcalfe                  Phone Work  (09) 426 9215
Software Support                     Home  (09) 387 2753
Disability Services Commission       Fax   (09) 426 9380
                      ,~,_/\         Mobile 0418 901 470
                     /      \  Email JOHN_at_ozemail.com.au
PO Box 441          {   OZ   }       JOHN_at_dsc.wa.gov.au
West Perth 6872 ==>  *_,~~\_/        JOHN_at_Perthpcug.org.au
Western Australia                    dsc1_at_omen.com.au
              WWW http://www.omen.com/~dsc1
Any opinions are my own, not nescessarily those of DSC

I did this a long time ago (Vines 4/5), so I may be misremembering. As I recall, we had to use a freely distributed package written by Pacific Gas & Electric (from Northern California), to interface the unix printer spools with the Banyan printing spools. I don't know if they still do that or if it applies to more modern Banyan. Since Banyan actually is unix, it really shouldn't be that big of a deal! There should be some way to just set up a spooler on the remote unix, and set up the Banyan to accept jobs from it. Perhaps you have a Banyan users group to ask?

I used to belong to ABUI, which was always very helpful, but I no longer know anybody that does Banyan.

Hope this clues!

jg

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve
70661,1534

Instead of attaching the printer to the WIN95 machine, attach it to the
network - assuming it has tcp/ip capability. Printing from UNIX to a tcp/ip
printer is very easy. Most systems provide you with a script to configure
the printer.

To print from the WIN95 machine, use a file server to direct the print
jobs.

Michael Short [mrshort_at_esvax-mail.es.dupont.com]