Re: License for Web-Server??

From: Adnan Mumbasic <Adnan.Mumbasic_at_seitz.de>
Date: 1996/12/29

[skiped]

> (2) If you want to give access to the world via an Oracle Web server on
> the Internet, then you have to buy (another) 32-simultaneoulus-user
> license for whatever platform you put it on. When I squawked at that
> pricing, he suggested taking our current 32-user license and serving all
> but developers that way (users inside and outside the organization) and
> getting a new 8-user license for the developers to use. Hmm. I'm
> guessing they are feeling some heat on this pricing.

Oracle have to change their politics. Our represants here in Germany have no arguments for this poltic. They say to me to buy a workgroup db and use this instead of the enterprise db! Is the workgroup db compatible (binary) with the enterprise db. Will our OraPerl scripts work whith the workgroup db?

> (3) I am operating on the assumption that if I do NOT use the Oracle Web
> product (or just use my current "free" version 1.0), then I have NO
> additional payment to make merely to access the Oracle database,
> assuming I am staying within my 32-user simultaneous user license--just
> like I was using Access and ODBC.

What if you could gurantee that no more user access the db then your license is? What if you could gurantee that a maximum number of eight users accesses your db, why should you have a 32 user license? What if you use CORBA objects. It seems that our db factories are in big big trouble no more licenses no more fat sallaries.

Where is an official Oracle person to say a word????

Best regards

Adnan Received on Sun Dec 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message