Re: Which front-end???

From: Geoff Crawford <geoff_at_innov8cs.com>
Date: 1996/12/21

In article <32B71046.18A0_at_mindspring.com>, wkincaid_at_mindspring.com says...

>Hi,
>
>I'm about to start a new developement project with Oracle on Netware V4
>and would like for someone to suggest a good front end for this
 project.
>I've heard others suggest Powerbuilder, Delphi and C++ and Oracle's
 own.
>If it makes sense to stay with Oracle on the front I would certainly be
>willing. However, if anyone can suggest reasons for another tool, I
>would appreciate it.

Decide what it is that you want out of the product. Eg, Rapid Development, Number Crunching Capability, External (OLE/ActiveX) Interfaces, Portability, Real Time Interface, etc Then pick a product that matches. I doubt if Oracle's tools will win in many cases, Delphi has a lot going for it. The Pascal underneath is much easier to debug and keep in line with good engineering practice, as compared to C. It will go much further than PB, but the data technology in PB does have its place. If you want portability in mixed GUI/ChUI environments and *very* rapid development, you might want to add Progress as an alternative.

My $0.02.

Geoff Crawford                            Phone:      (201) 627 - 0307
Innovative Client Servers                 FAX:        (201) 627 - 0634
24 Dogwood Drive                          Email:    geoff_at_innov8cs.com
Denville NJ 07834                         Web: http://www.innov8cs.com