Re: How to start Oracle*Form designer in UNIX?

From: oracle <oracle_at_nightmare.com>
Date: 1996/12/20

Bob Yeh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry to ask this simple question, but I don't have a document to look.
>
> I just installed the developer 2000 on a SUN box running Solaris 2.4.
> Which one is the executable for Oracle*Form designer? Is it oraform45m?
> I keep geting error: FRM-91111: Internal Error: window system startup
> failure and FRM-10039: Unable to start up the Froms Designer. Do I need
> some environment variable other than ORACLE_HOME to run this?
>
> Thank you for your help.
> Bob

There are two things that can cause this error.

  1. You need to set the DISPLAY environment variable. Try to execute /usr/openwin/bin/xclock. If this fails then it is not a problem with Oracle but with you system. If xclock works and f45desm gives you the above errors then look at (2). The DISPLAY variable gets set to <machine_ip_address>:0.0

Note: you must be on an X-Terminal to use motif products.

2) Do and /usr/openwin/bin/xdpyinfo |more

   You will see something like:
  root window id: 0x23
  depth of root window: 24 planes
  number of colormaps: minimum 1, maximum 1   default colormap: 0x21
  default number of colormap cells: 256   preallocated pixels: black 0, white 16777215   options: backing-store NO, save-unders YES   largest cursor: 32x32
  current input event mask: 0x780000
    SubstructureNotifyMask SubstructureRedirectMask

FocusChangeMask
    PropertyChangeMask

  number of visuals: 1
  default visual id: 0x20
  visual:
    visual id: 0x20
    class: TrueColor
    depth: 24 planes
    available colormap entries: 256 per subfield     red, green, blue masks: 0xff, 0xff00, 0xff0000     significant bits in color specification: 8 bits (END)

Note the default visual id is 0X20 with is set to a class of TrueColor. Oracle needs to work in 256 colors so this should be PseudoColro nto TrueColor for it to work. If you do this and it is set to something other than TrueColor then you need to make it PseudoColor.

If you are on a PC using an X-emulator like Reflections-X or Exceed then you will need to change your display settings on the PC so that you are only using 256 colors. If you are on the console or a UNIX box then you will need to contact your OS vendor on how to change it to PseudoColor. Received on Fri Dec 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message