Re: Sql*loader TAB problems

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/12/18

Are you using redirection with the sqlplus command? Eg: are you

sqlplus scott/tiger _at_something > output.dat

Or do you use spool? If you use redirection as above, you need to be aware of the TAB setting in sqlplus:

<quote>

SET TAB {OFF|ON}
             --
Determines how SQL*Plus formats white space in terminal output. OFF uses spaces to format white space in the output. ON uses the TAB character. TAB settings are every eight characters. The default value for TAB is system dependent.
Note: This option applies only to terminal output. Tabs will not be placed in output files.

</quote>

Perhaps is it sqlplus writing to the terminal that is getting you.....

On 17 Dec 1996 13:51:56 GMT, "Steve Dodsworth" <steven_dodsworth_at_qsp.co.uk> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I have a problem with sqlloader or sqlplus.
>I have written a script that will download a table into csv format ready
>for sqlload'ing back into a table.
>
>One of the fields is a char(8) with a data value of 'BG6 '. When this
>field is downloaded and concatenated with the delimiters,
>e.g.
>^BG6 ^
>Oracle replaces the 5 remaining spaces with a tab and a space (used
>dumpfile to prove it.).
>
>When I sqlload this file back into the table, it inserts the tab after the
>3 characters thus invalidating and where clause that tries to find it.
>e.g.
>..where field='BG6 '...
>will fail.
>
>Does any one have the answer to this problem - some setting in sqlloader
>for example.
>
>Any help would be appreciated, thanks
>Steve

Thomas Kyte
Oracle Government
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com

http://govt.us.oracle.com

  • Check out Oracle Governments web site! ----- Follow the link to "Tech Center" and then downloadable Utilities for some free software...

statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation Received on Wed Dec 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message