Re: Cursor-handling in Forms 4.5

From: Raymond G Boyd <raymondb_at_global.net.au>
Date: 1996/12/18

Jens Lechtenboerger wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I've some problems with too many cursors staying open in a Forms 4.5
> application.
>
> I queried v$open_cursor while my application was running and found that every
> select, insert, update and delete leaves a cursor open.
>
> Moreover, my own cursors opened from PL/SQL Program Units stay open, although I
> do an explicit close every time.
>
> Answering to an earlier posting some people told me that the only thing
> I could do was setting open_cursors as high as needed.
>
> Any further hints?
> Or is this a serious bug which makes Forms kind of useless?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jens Lechtenboerger
>
> P.S.: Setting the Cursor Mode Property to Open or Close has no
> significant effect.

Just the other day I had this issue raised with Oracle in Australia about
the explicit close of cursors not actually closing the cursor. At first they did not believe me, however after trying it out themselves they found that this was a bug (a very serious bug). They eventually told me that this problem and the problem of cursors staying open with SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE statements would be fixed when we get our new release of Forms 4.5 which was about 1-2 months away. So the answer to your question is to set the cursor limit higher and I hope Oracle can fix this problem soon.

Regards
Raymond Boyd
Computer Power

Difficulties are lessons, obstacles are challenges, impossibilities are invitations. Received on Wed Dec 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message