Re: Cursor-handling in Forms 4.5

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1996/12/17

In article <596862$2ft_at_news.Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>, Jens Lechtenboerger <Jens.Lechtenboerger_at_Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE> wrote:

>I've some problems with too many cursors staying open in a Forms 4.5
>application.
>
>I queried v$open_cursor while my application was running and found that every
>select, insert, update and delete leaves a cursor open.
>
>Moreover, my own cursors opened from PL/SQL Program Units stay open, although I
>do an explicit close every time.
>
>Answering to an earlier posting some people told me that the only thing
>I could do was setting open_cursors as high as needed.
>
>Any further hints?
>Or is this a serious bug which makes Forms kind of useless?

The forms I am working on also show the same behavior -- Even cursors I specifically open and close show up in V$Open_Cursors. In addition, I see that calling a stored procedure shows up as an open cursor. Accessing sysdate does as well.

My forms run in the area of 40-50 cursors open.

I would raise the max open cursors value, and forget it. I'm not sure I understand what problem this might cause.

Regards,
Steve Cosner Received on Tue Dec 17 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message