Benchmarking vs Oracle Trace

From: Pierre Ostigny <postigny_at_cam.org>
Date: 1996/12/17

I am about to use the new 7.3 Oracle Trace to benchmark a big telephony application to gather all the statistics on the sql statements. Since Oracle Trace is doing event-based tracing, though seems good for your benchmark. Problem is otrace is beta an nobody at Oracle really know about it. I have succeed to collect a trace and format that trace into oracle tables using provided tools (otrcfmt) and summarize thoses tables into another one by sql statement with a provided script (otrcdtl.sql)

But when i tried to analyze the data in the summary table, i see some negatives numbers in the fields UCPU_PARSE_MIN,MAX,AVG, and same thing for EXECUTE and FETCH. Those cpu numbers are really big (-1.5e9). I don't know what's the unit of measure tor them (probably nanoseconds).

Does someone ever use Oracle Trace and if yes do you have those negatives cpu numbers?

Thanks in advance

P.S. Please could you answer me by e-mail

--

Pierre Ostigny
Mailto:postigny_at_cam.org