Re: Wanted - good SQL*Loader example for large text fields

From: Dan Chen <chen_at_informed.net>
Date: 1996/12/17

Creative Business Advisers wrote:

> Anyone have a control file that shows a good example of using
> large varchar2 fields when loading data from an ascii file
> into Oracle tables?
>
> Are there any limits (i.e. for Unix on Suns) on the size of a record
> you can load using SQL*Loader? For example, if you have several
> large varchar2 fields, say, 2000 bytes each, can SQL*Loader
> handle this? If need be, we might use PL/SQL or C to write the
> loader program, but SQL*Loader seems to work fine for smaller
> size records.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> ---- Mike
Hi, Mike

Yes, we used that before but I don't not if there is a limit on the size of records. I think it may depend on the size you set for arraysize parameter. Anyway, for varchar2 fields in a table, the max value is 2000. But in your load control file, you should use char with a value little bit less than 2000, say char(1998). For all the fields which are longer than 2000 in a table, you should define them as a long type, and then in your control file, you should use the max value that field could be, say char(4000).You may also need to set the number of rows in your bind array with rows parameter and the size of bind array with bindsize parm. For example, set rows=1.

Good luck.
Dan Received on Tue Dec 17 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message