Re: Designer 2000 Performance

From: Kevin Muhm <muhmkb_at_maritz.com>
Date: 1996/12/17

Jeff Jacobs wrote:

> FCDN <FCDN_at_concentric.net> wrote:
>
> >We are currently running Designer 2000 for MS-Windows in a Novell 3.1.2
> >network environment with both DES2000 and MS-Windows 3.11 deployed from
> >the network drives. We find that the performance with this
> >configuration is poor and are considering a different configuration.
> >
> >Is anyone experiencing good performance with an alternate config? Is it
> >worthwhile upgrading to NT-Workstation? What effect would it have if
> >Windows and/or DES2000 were installed on the local drive. We have
> >approximately 7 developers using the tools. What are the positives and
> >negatives of such a configuration?
> >
> >Thanks
> >--DJK
>
> You'll find *much* better performance from a local drive.
>
> -JJ
>
> Jeffrey Jacobs & Associates
> Oracle Designer/2000 Consulting & Training
> 951-2 Old Country Road, Suite 119, Belmont, CA 94002
> Voice: 415-571-7092, FAX: 800-665-1379 CompuServe: 76702,456
> Internet: jmjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com

Probably the fastest configuration is 32 bit Designer (ver. 1.3) on a local drive. The next fastest is 32 bit Designer on a network drive. The advantages of this option are that only one copy of the SW needs to be installed and maintained, a network license is cheaper than multiple licenses, and standards in Designer are easier to manage and implement. The 32 bit software (both Developer and Designer) runs *much* faster in the 32 bit versions, so if you can live with the difference in speed between a local 32 bit install and a network 32 bit install, the network option is preferable IMHO. Especially so if you anticipate that more developers may access Designer in the near future.

Good luck -

*   Kevin Muhm                  email: muhmkb_at_maritz.com   *
*   Senior Programmer/Analyst   (314)827-8787              *
*   Maritz, Inc.                FAX: (314)827-3148         *
*   1365 N. Highway Drive                                  *
*   St. Louis, MO 63099                                    *