Re: Oracle Objects for OLE vs. RDO?

From: Mark Wagoner <mwagoner_at_iac.net>
Date: 1996/12/17

"Jeffrey Sahol" <jsahol_at_netmcr.com> wrote:

>I am considering two options for converting an existing Access database to
>Oracle 7.2 running on AIX. The front end is VB 4.0, 32 bit, but there is a
>VB4.0 16-bit out of process OLE server that controls an imaging application
>from the main program, and it needs either to have access to two tables in
>the database, or for us to write some methods that will stream the contents
>of those two tables to the OLE server: In addition, there is the imaging
>system itself, which accesses a different database via SQL*Net 2.2!

>Our main choices:
>- RDO/ODBC
>- Oracle Objects for OLE

>Other choices, and reasons for rejection:
>- DAO/Jet (Ack!)
>- ODBC API (too much coding)
>- OCI (Ditto above)

>So far I have been unable to get OO4O to work, so I'm leery of it, but I am
>also afraid that ODBC will be too much of a hit on performance.

>I would appreciate any experience you may have had with either approach.

We have moved our app from ODDBC to OO40 on Windows NT 4.0 and have found significant performance increases, as well as full support of all Oracle features. The change was fairly simple due to the similar naming conventions used. The trade off is you are locked into one database, which wasn't a problem for us.

What version of OO4O are you using? I believe 2.0.7 is the latest.

--
Mark Wagoner
mwagoner_at_iac.net