Pro*C for Win3.1 and Borland C 3.0 - Link errors?

From: Michael Carmack <mcarmack_at_freenet.columbus.oh.us>
Date: 1996/12/16

I know that the docs for Pro*C 2.0 say to use Borland C v4.5, but all we have here at work is v3.0. I have no problem getting my source file to precompile in Pro*C and to compile in BC, but the linker is choking on an external reference:

"Linker Error: Undefined symbol _sqlcex in module ORA_PING.C"

I've explicitly specified all the libraries I need in my project file (which is actually all of the *.lib files in c:\orawin\pro20\c\lib). Am I missing something stupid here, or is there simply an incompatibility with this old version of BC?

If it is the compiler, do I HAVE to use BC 4.5 or MS-VC 4.0, or I'm out of luck? I also have access to Watcom 10.6 if that might solve my problem, but there's no hope of getting my boss to spring for a new C compiler; we simply don't use C enough to justify it in her mind.

If anyone is wondering, this is my first experiment with Pro*C. I need the ability to verify an Oracle user name and password from a Windows app (specifically from a Visual Basic 4.0 app) without resorting to ODBC, since an invalid username or password automatically brings up the ODBC sign-on box. Eventually I'll turn this into a DLL, but at this early stage I'm just trying to make a simple *.EXE with a known username and password.

"Villains, I say to you now: | Mike Carmack
KNOCK OFF ALL THAT EVIL!" | Vulcan Dragon -==(UDIC)==- S P O O N !!!! - The Tick | mcarmack_at_freenet.columbus.oh.us