Re: Q: how to properly start up and shut down Oracle?

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com>
Date: 1996/12/16

Charles Chen <htchen_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Hi. I just finished installing Oracle 7.3.2.1.0 on Solaris 2.5.1 on a
>Sparc10. It is currently up and running since I can go into SQL*Plus
>and query the default EMP table. However, I would like to know how to
>properly shut down Oracle both manually and by some automatic method.
>In addition, I was wondering how to automatically start up Oracle when
>the Sparc10 is rebooted. Thanks for any help you can provide.
>

>Sincerely,
>Henry

The following script should shut it down for you.

svrmgrl <<!
shutdown immediate
exit
!

The 'immediate' will firce any active users to be disconnected, and active transactions to be rolled back. Without it, the command hangs until the last user disconnects by themself.

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_dvol.com

This message delivered by electronic sled dogs. WOOF!