Re: Rollback segments

From: AWILSON <awilson_at_rci.rogers.com>
Date: 1996/12/16

Kochis wrote:

> Trying to delete all the data from a table (6000 records)
> I recieved the following:
>
> Ora - 1562: Failed to extend rollback segments (Id=1)
> Ora - 1682: Max # extents (121) reached for rollback segment add_rb
>
> Did I run out of extents and I need to increase max?
> Did I run out of space in the rollback segment? (same as above?)
>
> Also,
> I have three rollback segments created and online. Oracle always seems to
> use the first one i created? Should I point it to a different one?
>
> thanks in advance for any help
> newbie
> djkochis_at_sgi.net

To keep your rollback segments at the same (presumably optimum) level, try,

  1. Truncate table <tablename> if you are using Oracle 7 or
  2. Break the delete down into smaller chunks of the file, and commit after each chunk.

The above reflect my personal views and in no way are connected with whomsoever I may be working for at this particular point in time.
Alan Wilson                              Help fight continental drift.