Re: How to change error_level in Forms?

From: Ken Denny <kdenny_at_interpath.com>
Date: 1996/12/10

Gary G wrote:

> There is a know bug in Forms, that throws an error at me, while committing
> changes to a table: 'No changes to save', ...yea right!
> I think there is a way to change the level of oracle errors, so that the
> lower ones are surpassed. Any ideas?
> Thanks in advance, I would appreciate direct e-mail (for speed)
> Gary

I assume you're getting this message when your code does a "commit". There are two ways I found to get around this. The first way is to set [Quoted] :system.message_level to 5 as in:

:system.message_level:=5;
 commit;
:system.message_level:=0;

This is the way I started out doing it. I always set it back to 0 after the commit so as not to miss any other messages which I might want to see.

[Quoted] The second way I found later and like better is to create a stored procedure which does nothing but a commit and call that from within forms.

create or replace
procedure commit_it is
begin

   commit;
end;
/

[Quoted] Now wherever you have a "commit" in your code change it to "commit_it". By putting the commit within a stored procedure forms doesn't know about it. I have found this trick to be useful for some other things too. For instance, I have a procedure called "roll_it_back" which simply does a rollback. The reason I do that is because when you do a rollback within a forms trigger it clears the screen and I didn't want that to happen.

Good luck
Ken Denny
Insight Industries, Inc.
RTP, NC
kdenny_at_interpath.com Received on Tue Dec 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message