Q: About building an Intranet ?

From: Pierre Dumas <Pdumas_at_bcgt.com>
Date: 1996/12/09

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to implement an Intranet for my office... The main goal of our future intranet is to access dynamically data from a database (MS-ACCESS or Oracle). I'm wandering if TCL/TK could be a good development platform to do this. The application that I want to build must deal with Web Browser inputs, do requests/updates into the database and translate outputs in HTML, so that the user could use only a Web Browser like Microsoft Explorer or Netscape to do the job.

Someone told me that there exists a WebServer Generator from Oracle Developer/2000
tool that could help to develop Web applications. But we think that using Information Internet Service within the Microsoft Windows NT 4.1 could be a better idea ...

The main tasks are:

  1. Choose the database engine;
  2. Setup a development platform;
  3. Build Oracle or Access forms to update the database from a Web Browser;
  4. Translate query results in HTML.

One of the question I need an answer to is for example: Can I use ODBC protocol from a TCL script ?

Any comments, directions or hints can be send to pdumas_at_bcgt.com

Thanks in advance Received on Mon Dec 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message