Re: integrating C with PL/SQL

From: Allan Hicks <ahicks_at_acsatlanta.com>
Date: 1996/12/05

Andrew Smalera wrote:

> I have heard that there is a way to call a piece of compiled code
> (written in C, for example) from within a PL/SQL stored procedure and
> obtain the result, like a function call. If this is possible, it would
> save a lot of time trying to recode the routine, if it is possible at
> all to get it done in PL/SQL. Does anyone have any experience with
> this? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Depending on the complexity of what you want to do, you might find plex useful. Plex is a piece of shareware that you can download from http://govt.us.oracle.com/. It has the pipes and other major stuff already done for you. You just have to build in the stubs.

Plex is a server that can accept data from the oracle server as a stored function or procedure call. It calls your C program where you can do any special processing or call APIs to other packages like file handlers, or non-oracle databases or whatever else that you want. I've used it to interface to the C routines that form the APIs for a highly properitary database, and it performs as advertised.

-allan hicks Received on Thu Dec 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message