I need honest opinion about Oracle tools

From: Igor Music <igor_at_fnbtig.co.za>
Date: 1996/11/29

Guys I need your honest opinion about Designer/2000, Developer/2000,Power Objects etc.

My background is Sybase/MS SQL as a database , VB , PowerBuilder front end and C++ as general development tool.

My preferences are Rumbaugh ( now being intergated in Rational UML ) for methodology and three tier client server as architecture - using distributed objects ( being some flavor of DCOM, Java RMI , CORBA).

I "dislike" SSAD, James Martin, IEF and "don't need to write a line of code" and "why would you like to change the way our tool generates code" CASE stuff. I wrote code generators based on object model repositories before and it is productive way of doing software development, I have problem with not being able to change the way code is generated, being trapped in someones paradigm.

Please point me to independent evaluations of these products ( I don't need marketing info like "practical object-oriented approach that sidesteps the intricacies of traditional object-orinated programming" (PC MAGAZINE , January 9, Power Objects)- hell does it support inheritance or not ? ) or your give me your personal opinion.

Also give me your opinion on tools, methodologies, architectures that work on medium size projects ( 150+ entities, financial application )

Thanx a millon

Igor Received on Fri Nov 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message