Re: Des 2K across Mac & NT

From: Peter C. Hugger <hugger_at_bms.com>
Date: 1996/11/27

Ken Friday wrote:

> Is anyone out there running Developer 2000 across both NT and PowerMac
> clients ? My company has commited to the product on NT but have a number
> of Mac users who may want access to applications.
>
> I have concerns about consistent versioning (e.g. How far behind is the
> Mac port ?) and general compatability.
>
> Thank You (In advance)
> Ken F.

The port is fairly straight forward. You need to create a resource fork for each FMB (contains Icons etc) and regenerate the form. The forms usually need minor tweaking as some of the font and object sizes don't translate well. Choice lists for example are almost all too short and the font sizes are sometimes off. There is a potentially serious problem if you try to run the application off of a server. Forms Runtime requires write access to the drive where the runtime stuff is stored. This can cause a big headache if the user can't write to that server. Oracle has provided a patch for this. The 68K runtime code (new!) has been giving us a bunch of trouble as well. We haven't gotten it to work yet, but Oracle is working with us and we expect some success soon.

PCH

Imagination is the highest      \|/
kite one can fly - LB          (_at_ @)
Peter C. Hugger            ```       '''
(609)252-4513
HUGGER_at_BMS.COM
Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
Pharmaceutical Research Institute
Scientific Information Systems
Applications Development Group Received on Wed Nov 27 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message