Re: Q: How to tell if listener is up on HP-UX?

From: Hui, Kwok Miu <huikomix_at_dt.com.hk>
Date: 1996/11/26

John Emmerling wrote:

> Hi:

 I don't have any special privilege on the
> HP-UX side (other than normal user), I have administrator rights on the NT
> side.
> I have some suspicion that the listener is not up on the HP-UX side

  You may check the process 'tnslnsr' with following command:

    ps -ef |grep tnslnsr

  or try to connect to oracle in HP Box with following sql*plus command:

    sqlplus user/password_at_your_sid

   to check whether the listener is up.

> Additional questions:
>
> The listener.ora on the HP-UX side calls the listener by a name other than the
> default "LISTENER". Could this present a problem

No relation with your problem.

> Also, I am having trouble with the "community" stuff. On the HP-UX side,
> community was set to "ORATCP". On the NT side, should I use "ORATCP",
> "ORATCP.world", or what? Can I use a raw IP address for "HOST"

You may give another community name in your Win NT and use IP address in 'host' field
as long as you use same same protocol with your HP-UX.

--
Hui, Kwok Miu (Xu, Guo Miao)         E-Mail: huikomix_at_dt.com.hk
Oracle DBA & Unix Administrator      Tel   : (00852)2589 3369