Re: Des2K - Enforcing Mandatory Relationships

From: Simon <jb85_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 1996/11/26

Pete Kolton <pete_at_pskl.karoo.co.uk> wrote:

>The way I got round it was a bit nasty but seemed to work. I did a post
>before doing the commit. Can't remember which trigger(s) I put it on
>but can check next week. It can't just be the KEY-COMMIT because of
>course there are all the other ways you can force a commit. Anyway, I
>did the post (somewhere) and then had some validation routines between
>the post and the commit which checked the database to make sure records
>existed at both ends of the relationship.

>As I said, it did work. And the form had been through some pretty
>extensive system testing over the last few weeks.

Hi Pete,

        I had considered enforcing this by using a database trigger. I 'phoned Oracle support a couple of days ago on this, and they said that the only way to enforce mandatory/mandatory relationships was to write a database trigger or to write forms triggers like you said.

It seems a bit odd to me that you can specify a mandatory/mandatory relationship in Des2K, but then it doesn't enforce it! (If there was a "chicken and egg" situation, then I'd use an optional/mandatory link)

all the best,

                Simon

--
Simon Holt --  System Designer/DBA
** My opinions are not nescessarily those of my employers **