Re: Forms 4.5 /OLE container

From: David Kaplan <dnkaplan_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1996/11/26

I was able to make some progress defining the OLE container and specifying all of its properties. Not sure why you seem to have the ability of inserting objects into the container while still in the designer? Whether that is the default contents if none are retrieved?

The OLE method seems to work for new data inserted into the database but doesn't seem to pick up already existing longraw data in the database. It seems like a conversion is needed to save the existing data into a wordprefct file and then insert it , as new, back into the database. Or maybe it just isn't apparent yet to me how you get it to work with existing data.

Good luck with your situation,
if you want me to go into any further detail, let me know. I'd be more than welcome to.

Dave Kaplan

 Michael Taylor (mtaylor_at_ptdprolog.net) wrote: : We have the same environment, same need and similar problems!
: I believe that if you look in the REGEDIT program you'll see that
: Wordperfect implements OLE with DDE commands.

: We have calls into Corel and Oracle on this with the
: predictable finger-pointing going on. In cases where we embed
: the object in a form, it usually comes up in wordperfect with
: two system menus and double maximize/minimize buttons.
: It looks very strange!

: As a linked object (our preference) Wordperfect gets initiated
: but comes up empty!

: I suspect Word would work alot cleaner but that's not yet
: an option at our site.

: Double-clicking SHOULD bring up word-perfect and show
: the file in it. I'm assuming you're storing the OLE object
: in a long raw column of the database.

: In short, I don't have much hope for getting it to work!
: Neither company is all that interested in its 16-bit
: products.

: There is a white paper available from Oracle that
: tells how to do DDE commands to dynamically
: open and manipulate Wordperfect files. We may
: go that route at our site.

: Good luck!
: Mike

: David Kaplan <dnkaplan_at_netcom.com> wrote in article
: <dnkaplanE12sqs.1x8_at_netcom.com>...
: > I am trying to use Wordperfect as the editor for when a long raw database
: > column is doubled clicked on in a form. I would like the contents of the

: > field to be brought up in Wordperfect when the field is navigated to and
: > double clicked on.
: >
: > I have created an OLE container on the form with the name equal to the
 base
: > table long raw column.
: >
: > I have set the OLE class property to 'WPWin6.1'.
: >
: > I have set the OLE activation style property to 'double-click'.
: >
: > I have set the forms45_editor in my oracle.ini equal to the path for
: > Wordperfect (not knowing whether this was entirely necessary).
: >
: > Besides not getting it to work, I am unclear as to what should happen
 when
: > I double click in the field that is set up as the OLE container. Should
: > Wordperfect be invoked with the contents of the database column brought
: > up inside as the document being edited.
: >
: > Keep in mind that this is in a windows 3.1/Forms 4.5 Oracle 7.2
 environment.
: >
: > Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
: > Thank you
: >
: > Dave Kaplan
: > kaplan.david_at_epamail.epa.gov