Re: Des2K - Enforcing Mandatory Relationships

From: Pete Kolton <pete_at_pskl.karoo.co.uk>
Date: 1996/11/23

> In article <56uq0a$elu_at_soap.news.pipex.net>, Simon <jb85_at_dial.pipex.com>
> writes
> >If I have two entities, eg
> >
> > MASTER -------------------< DETAILS
> >
> >with relationships:
> >
> >A Master MUST HAVE one or more Details
> >A Detail MUST HAVE one and only one Master
> >
> >How do I get Des2K to generate a form that enforces entry of at least
> >one Detail row for each Master row? I've defined a module that uses

This answers a question I had a little while ago. I was doing a form manually (ie not generated) with a mandatory relationship. I was going to try generating a form to see what the generator did for this but never got round to it.

[Quoted] The way I got round it was a bit nasty but seemed to work. I did a post before doing the commit. Can't remember which trigger(s) I put it on but can check next week. It can't just be the KEY-COMMIT because of course there are all the other ways you can force a commit. Anyway, I did the post (somewhere) and then had some validation routines between the post and the commit which checked the database to make sure records existed at both ends of the relationship.

[Quoted] As I said, it did work. And the form had been through some pretty extensive system testing over the last few weeks.

Pete Kolton
ORACLE Systems Consultant
All reasonable offers considered :-)

100661.3111_at_compuserve.com