Re: Q: Can I execute function stored in a remote database on that machine

From: <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 1996/11/22

Yes, you can execute remote Oracle stored functions.

Can you submit a UNIX script that has nothing to do with Oracle? Yes, if you are willing to go to a little work. You could tie a trigger to the receiving table to output the stored UNIX script to a PIPE ( or if you have 7.3 there is a package that does text file I/O you could research). You will need a program that is always running to read the PIPE, write out the schell script, and execute the script.

I do not know of directly execute the script from the rdbms.

I would be interested to know the best way to do this. With every release new stuff is added, but some new things are more trouble than are worth for a couple of releases.

Mark D. Powell -- The only advise that counts is the advise that you follow
so follow your own advise Received on Fri Nov 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message