Tool Info Needed

From: Thomas Koithan <tkoithan_at_winternet.com>
Date: 1996/11/18

[Quoted] Does anyone happen to know if there is a tool/application that assists in the integration and management of SQL*NET access to an Oracle Server?

Some of the criteria that I am looking at:

Should be similar to the way the Oracle Applications work:

	Centralized management of user access areas.
	A "user friendly" admin interface.
	The ability to track accounts with row/who information.
	User access is handled through an application layer not the database
		layer.
	Account aging.
	Ability to define an array of user envirnment variables based on what
		role the user has (E-mail, Site specific information, etc.).

The tool should be flexible in both implementation and access method. I would prefer to see something in VB, but UNIX/C would work as well.

What I am really trying to do is to setup an environment where VB (or other) apps that intend on accessing the database through a network connection do so by using a well known but harmless username/password. Once the connection has been established, no further access is allow unless the user passes an application layer gate.

In in ideal world, it would be great if this tool could be flexible enough to be molded for seperate development projects.

I guess I am just seeing a lot of overhead assiciated with maintaining X number of database users with even more limited flexability in who has to do the setup and maintenance of these users (I would like to see some of these roles passed on to more of a support role).

Sorry for rambling. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please drop me a note.

Thanks,

Tom Koithan
Merrill Corporation
tom.koithan_at_merrillcorp.com Received on Mon Nov 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message