Re: Oracle "Sessions" left open

From: <dmmatt_at_monsanto.com>
Date: 1996/11/18

In article <328BDB17.32C5_at_batelco.com.bh> Marek Wiechula and Sheila Plant <sparemgw_at_batelco.com.bh> wrote:

> N Prabhakar wrote:

>> Brad Ashforth <bashforth_at_sprynet.com> wrote:
>> >Hi!
>> >We have an app written in VB4 connecting to Oracle 7.3 using ODBC. So
>> >far, so good. The problem(s)?
>> >(1) If an app terminates abnormally due to the pc being turned off, the
>> >ODBC connections are still left open, and we have to use the Session
>> >Manager to delete the sessions. To keep things nice and tidy, this has
>> >to be done before restarting the app, otherwise we don't know which
>> >sessions are valid and which aren't. This is a real pain. Is there any
>> >way to have Oracle manage this automatically (say, after so many hours
>> >of no activity on a session, kill it)?

This one should be able to be handled by the sqlnet_expire_time solution mentioned below.

>> >(2) If an app terminates abnormally, but the pc's operating system is
>> >still ok (i.e., the app crashes but the pc doesn't have to reboot) the
>> >ODBC connections still appear to be in use in that if the app crashes
>> >enough times a subsequent app start will not be able to connect to
>> >Oracle. Is there a way for ODBC to use an existing ODBC connection
>> >(i.e., on a fresh start up can we write the ODBC handles to a file and
>> >then check that file on any subsequent startups, if handles are there
>> >use them)?

Someone in another response mentioned a parameter ConnectionTimeout that they said should be set in the App.INI file of the App. I have no experience with this but it might be a place to start on this specific issue.

[ODBC]
ConnectionTimeout=600

I have not been able to find this parameter mentioned but if anyone has anymore information please post so we can all benefit.

>> >These problems seem to be fairly major, yet I find no reference to them
>> >anywhere, nor can I get any support/suggestions from Oracle support.
>> >Surely SOMEONE out there has run in to these problems?
>> >
>> >HELP!!!!!
>> >
>> >(Thanks!)
>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Try setting sqlnet_expire_time in the following file.
>>
>> $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/sqlnet.ora
>>
>> Edit the above file. You will find a variable called expire time. Set this
>> to non zero.
>>
>> For example, if you set it to 5, then every 5 minutes one of the oracle
>> process will clean up all the hanging jobs (jobs for which the initiator
>> is not present). It works well in our environment.
>>
>> Depending on your requirement, you can set the value to non zero.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> N.Prabhakar
>> Socgen Crosby Securities
>> Singapore

> In our environment a user managed to kill his application but left his
> PC up and running.  At the end of the day he shutdown his computer and
> the SQLNET_Expire_time kicked in.
>
> Marek

D.M.(Mike) Mattix
Monsanto Company
Luling, LA 70070
dmmatt_at_monsanto.com Received on Mon Nov 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message