Re: Oracle "Sessions" left open

From: MCC <duffy_at_cais3.cais.com>
Date: 1996/11/18

Sqlnet_expire_time=10, is require to put on sqlnet.ora. But put sqlnet_expire_time=10 no mean ORACLE server will kill the session correctly. The most import thing is "pmon" process. If pmon does not wake up or sleep long time, setup sqlnet_expire_time still useless.

 Marek
Wiechula
and Sheila Plant (sparemgw_at_batelco.com.bh) wrote: : N Prabhakar wrote:
: >
: > Brad Ashforth <bashforth_at_sprynet.com> wrote:
: > >Hi!
: > >We have an app written in VB4 connecting to Oracle 7.3 using ODBC. So
: > >far, so good. The problem(s)?
: > >(1) If an app terminates abnormally due to the pc being turned off, the
: > >ODBC connections are still left open, and we have to use the Session
: > >Manager to delete the sessions. To keep things nice and tidy, this has
: > >to be done before restarting the app, otherwise we don't know which
: > >sessions are valid and which aren't. This is a real pain. Is there any
: > >way to have Oracle manage this automatically (say, after so many hours
: > >of no activity on a session, kill it)?
: > >(2) If an app terminates abnormally, but the pc's operating system is
: > >still ok (i.e., the app crashes but the pc doesn't have to reboot) the
: > >ODBC connections still appear to be in use in that if the app crashes
: > >enough times a subsequent app start will not be able to connect to
: > >Oracle. Is there a way for ODBC to use an existing ODBC connection
: > >(i.e., on a fresh start up can we write the ODBC handles to a file and
: > >then check that file on any subsequent startups, if handles are there
: > >use them)?
: > >
: > >These problems seem to be fairly major, yet I find no reference to them
: > >anywhere, nor can I get any support/suggestions from Oracle support.
: > >Surely SOMEONE out there has run in to these problems?
: > >
: > >HELP!!!!!
: > >
: > >(Thanks!)
: >
: > Hi there,
: >
: > Try setting sqlnet_expire_time in the following file.
: >
: > $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/sqlnet.ora
: >
: > Edit the above file. You will find a variable called expire time. Set this
: > to non zero.
: >
: > For example, if you set it to 5, then every 5 minutes one of the oracle
: > process will clean up all the hanging jobs (jobs for which the initiator
: > is not present). It works well in our environment.
: >
: > Depending on your requirement, you can set the value to non zero.
: >
: > Regards
: >
: > N.Prabhakar
: > Socgen Crosby Securities
: > Singapore

: In our environment a user managed to kill his application but left his
: PC up and running. At the end of the day he shutdown his computer and
: the SQLNET_Expire_time kicked in.

: Marek