Re: Oracle Open World Opinions?

From: Larry Fishman <larryf_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1996/11/13

[Quoted] Douglas Scott (dsscott_at_gte.net) wrote:
: I just got back from Oracle Open World in San Francisco and would be
: interested in what other attendees thought of the conference. This was
: the first one I had been to and I was a little disappointed that there
: wasn't more technical information available. Other people I have talked
: to said that IOUW usually has more technical info. This year the
: proceedings came on CD-ROM (I've seen previous years and was glad I
: didn't have to lug them home) and I haven't had a chance to look at them
: yet, but some people at the conference said not all the papers are on
: the CD-ROM. If this is true does anyone know where to get the rest?

: Overall I was still glad I went, but I think IOUW should stay seperated
: from Oracle's commercial campaigns (Oracle Open World).

: Douglas Scott
: dsscott_at_gte.net

Hi,

I have not been to this conference since the last time it was in Moscone (2 years ago) and I was disappointed for the following reasons:

  • the session notes were only available on CD (i like taking them from session to session and writing in the margins) it would have been helpful to know in advance that the hard copy would not be available at all so that I could have brought a PC with a CD and determine whether a particular session was what it said it was or not by reading the notes
  • people lined up way in advance of sessions (the more popular ones seemed to run 20-30 minutes in advance) so they would not be closed out and perhaps get whatever handouts there were (a la Disneyland)
  • the speeches every morning were a waste of time (i wish they had sessions going at the same time so i could go to a session instead)
  • the volume of people made not only the above but several other things very difficult. (the most often quoted number I heard was 15,000) (I saw things like the people putting out the snacks yelling at attendees for taking a can of soda too soon and putting away creamer for coffee as it was reached for)
  • i do not understand why the exhibit hall is NOT open the first day.
  • When I returned and finally looked at the CD, I disappointed at the format. who wants to see a oracle commercial every time the CD begins and ends? Why not put the whole thing in html?

[Quoted] I believe that this conference has gotten beyond critical mass. Just too many people attend it. If there was some logical way for it to happen more often or limit the attendees I think it would be more valuable. (limiting the number of attendees probably is not the solution. it was called 'open world')

cheers,

Larry. Received on Wed Nov 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message