Re: Q: How to check if database is up using Pro*C

From: Andy Finkenstadt <genie_at_panix.com>
Date: 1996/11/07

In <55t2bj$ine_at_linet01.li.net> gsa_at_li.net (Gary Assa) writes:
>I am writing a Pro*C program that executes from a web page that has many
>user enterable fields. However if the database is down (due to backups
>or some other reason) I don't want to make the people spend time entering
>all these fields then have "ORACLE ERROR, etc" pop up. How can I quickly
>check that the database is up before jumping to the web page??
>
>I need the C code, not an idea.

Deja vu. Please post your questions only once.

You mean (from my previous posting):

EXEC SQL BEGIN DECLARE SECTION;
VARCHAR db_string[31];
VARCHAR username[31];
VARCHAR password[31];
EXEC SQL END DECLARE SECTION;
EXEC SQL INCLUDE sqlca;

#define Ostrcpyin(ora,str) { strcpy(ora.arr,str); ora.len=strlen(str); }
#define CONNECTSTR "P:"
#define USER "scott"
#define PASS "tiger"

int database_is_up()
{
  EXEC SQL WHENEVER SQLERROR CONTINUE;
  /* Connect to remote database */
  Ostrcpyin(db_string,CONNECTSTR);
  Ostrcpyin(username,USER);
  Ostrcpyin(password,PASS);

  EXEC SQL CONNECT :username IDENTIFIED BY :password USING :db_string;   return (sqlca.sqlcode == 0L);
}

?

Disconnection from the database prior to program termination is left as an exercise for the student.

Andy

--
Andrew Finkenstadt, The Printing House Ltd, Also a GEnie Sysop

"By the time they had diminished from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began
to suspect 'Hungry' ..."                -- Gary Larson, "The Far Side"