MS Word template from Oracle dbms

From: John Fenner <jfenner_at_erols.com>
Date: 1996/11/01

[Quoted] I am building an Oracle based intranet using a HP 9000 G70 server, running hp-ux 10.x and Oracle 7.x. The clients are Pentium PCs running Windows NT workstation 3.5. All user interaction with the database is via web access. I want to build a MS Word document based upon database records (think of a form letter where the database will update heading information).

[Quoted]         I have already build a MS Word template which uses merge fields. I loaded this template onto the unix server and made a link to it from a web page. When the user selects the link, I use MIME encoding to launch MS Word on the client and can display the template.

[Quoted]         Also, I use UTL_FILE available with PL/SQL 2.3 to write a tab or comma delimited file from the Oracle database which can server as either the header or data source for the template. My problem is that I can't get Word on the PCs to read either the header or data file from the unix server.

        Any ideas?

[Quoted]         Is anybody out there doing anything similar?

[Quoted]         Please post replies or email direct to:

jfenner_at_erols.com

Thanks in advance. Received on Fri Nov 01 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message