Re: -> Write table data to a text file? How? <-

From: Frank Thomas <thomasf_at_daugherty.com>
Date: 1996/10/31

Here is an example script that I use to extract data from a table with varchar2 datatypes into a fixed length file of 44 characters:

rem ********************************************************
rem * Function: Extract the rawmatl_xref table to flat file
rem * Author: Frank Thomas

rem * Project: ERD
rem ********************************************************

prompt Extracting RAWMATL_XREF table data...

set heading off
select to_char(sysdate, 'YY/MM/DD HH24:MI:SS') from dual;

set echo off
set showmode off
set verify off
set pagesize 0
set space 0
set feedback off
set heading off
set wrap off
set timing off

set pause     off
set wrap      on

set feedback off

set linesize 44

spool rawmxref.txt

select rpad(source_system_id,10,' ') ||
       rpad(source_rawmatl_id,10,' ') ||
       rpad(rawmatl_id,18,' ') ||
       rpad(sap_system,6,' ')

from rawmatl_xref
/

spool off

prompt Complete...

set heading off
select to_char(sysdate, 'YY/MM/DD HH24:MI:SS') from dual; set heading on

exit

Les Gainous <lesgainous_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

>To all,

>What's the best way to write data out to a text file: comma-delimited,
>tab-separated, or fixed length? I basically need to write out a table
>into a format usable by other RDMSs/applications. I'm looking for
>something similar to the Bulk-Copy Program from Sybase or Microsoft SQL
>Server.

>Thanks in advance!
>--
> Les Gainous, lesgainous_at_earthlink.net

> Visit my web page at
> http://home.earthlink.net/~lesgainous

> Looking for a Client-Server job in California?
> http://home.earthlink.net/~lesgainous/jobs.html

Frank Thomas
thomasf_at_daugherty.com Received on Thu Oct 31 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message