Re: Connecting 16 bit tools to NT locally.

From: Paul Brewer <paulb_at_pbrewer.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/10/29

In article <54u635$hfe_at_news1.io.org>, Justin LaFayette <jlafayette_at_dwl.on.ca> writes
>I am having trouble connecting 16 bit windows tools (SQL Plus, User Manager,
>etc) to a Oracle 7.1.3 NT database locally. We are using SQLNet 2.1 for
>remote machines, and they all attach no problem. I cannot use any of the 16
>bit oracle tools on the server locally. The OS is Win NT 3.51, and I have
>installed SQL Net client on the server as well. (I tried it with it removed
>too.) With a correct user id and password, I have tried the SQL Net alias for
>the host string (TNSNames.ora file same as functioning remote clients), the
>string "local_host", and Oracle support suggested "2:". None of this has
>worked. The error message is "No interface driver installed".
>
>Does anyone have the answer to a seemingly simple problem.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Justin LaFayette
>
>Principal
>DWL Computer Systems Inc.

This is the answer as I understand it (but we're learning too).

Treat the 16bit stuff on the NT box as a separate machine. It should have 16bit SQL*Net client installed, just like any other 3.1 client. Assuming the defaults, you will have an Oracle Home in \ORANT for the 32bit stuff. The 16bit is in a separate Oracle Home \ORAWIN. Run \ORAWIN\bin\orainst to make sure you have 16bit SQL*Net client installed, and set up the tnsnames.ora etc. in this directory tree. You can use Named Pipes or TCP/IP. You _cannot_ connect locally, as the 16 bit subsystem on NT is a separate virtual machine (i.e. it cannot share the same memory space with the 32bit side); you must use a proper connect string.
Hope this helps.
Doubtless others will amplify or correct any technical inaccuracies.

Paul Brewer Received on Tue Oct 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message