Re: Powerbuilder Users

From: Christian Leverenz <leverenz_at_dice2.desy.de>
Date: 1996/10/21

: Would like to hear both good and bad experiences with the tool. : Curtis Hanner

Hi Curtis!
I'm working on management information systems which are (historically based) written in PowerBuilder. We are currently using Version 4.... but plan to use PB5 soon. Target platforms for users are Win 3.1x, win 95 and NT. The software was designed on watcom-sql and ported to many dbms including oracle.

Some advantages: many ways to see your data

                 easy access to many dbms
                 _very_ easy and professional design of applications
                 clearly arranged sourcecode in the libraries
                 source code debugging

some disad's     poor performance on datawindows
                 _a_lot_of_ run time libraries (.dll)
                 minor bugs sometimes (may be _minor_ is an advantage ;-) )
                 poor performance on creating executables (especially in PB5)
                   in respect to delphi
                 poor support on projects, no automatic 'regeneration',
                   poor library management for the applications

overall: Its too expensive to rewrite our software in delphi, but delphi seems to be faster and more well designed for some applications... We do not know, whether we can gain performance with PB5. :-(

hope this helps,
  Christian

--

|This message was sent to you from: |
|Ch. Leverenz,ex DESY-FH1K| leverenz_at_dice2.desy.de |
|now at IVM |
|Messberg 4 (Danske Hus) |
|20095 Hamburg |
|Tel. 040/325873 - 25 |