Re: Introduce an innovative machine tuning tool for SQL statements

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2017 17:56:03 +1100

On 24/12/2017 11:23 _at_wiz, Mladen Gogala wrote:

>> But of course Oracle management will immediately interject and blog and
>> confirm I am a liar and, of course, a "bad dba"...

> But of course you are. And so was I, while I was a DBA. You will never
> become an Oracle Ace or a member of the Oak Table.

I had two invites to become an Ace around 10 years ago. Which I promptly refused since I opposed that idiotic definition from day one! As for Oak Table, one of their members invited me to join only to be immediately dismissed by the "original founders" who have known me for ages without ONCE having met me or talked to me! Of course, I would have refused as well. ;) Since Moans and others made it "known" that no Portuguese could be "educated" enough to become an "oakie", I just spat on the whole thing. And it wasn't just I that did it...

> branch of Oracle marketing and what both of us are saying is not the
> message that Oracle Corp. wants a "good DBA" to spread. That was the
> essence of my fight with Tanel, who attacked me for calling out BS.

Ah yes, Tanel. He attended one of our local DBA nights around 5 years ago only to avoid talking to me and then later apologize by email for

not having "recognized" yours truly...  The lesser said about that (and
a few other recent joins) the better. I wish them a great future with
the dead product they helped to kill.

> There is no such thing as "Oracle data scientist". Oracle RDBMS is just a
> software product, like any other software product, and not a science.

Precisely! That "scientist" nonsense put me off Oak Table and that lot in 5 seconds. Not to mention the beer obsessions of a well known alcoholic "original founder"...

> Oracle is hiding the internal information about the database and is
> revealing it to the "good DBA people" selectively, in hope to make them
> into scientists. They are not scientists, by any stretch of imagination.

Yeah, it was quite hilarious when HJ Rogers exposed here in this newsgroup (it's on google groups for any1 to see!) how Scott Adams got the info to write his "internals" book.
Back then I had two "Aces" claim to my face Scott got all that by "scientifically analyzing" Oracle. When I rolled on the floor laughing, the whole "bad dba" thing started.
[Quoted] Of course the simple fact he was the main dba (recommended by Oracle who were then hell bent on destroying my consultancy company here) at a very large Aussie customer with access to all release 8 beta source code, could not possibly have had anything to do with it! Perish the thought... And the simple fact he never updated it with release 9 or 10 material (out of that contract since then...) is just cloud imagery, of course!
:)))

> That was very visible in a discussion between Jonathan Lewis and Grant
> Fritchey, a renowned SQL Server expert. They were BOTH very competent
> engineers and very likable people. You can find the videos on YT. That is
> still a joy to watch, despite the fact that it's a bit old (2012).

Jonathan, Kevin Closson and Tim Hall are likely the only oakies for whom I have a lot of time and respect. But only when they are not "selling Oracle" - or fake science.
As for Tom Kyte, at least he had the decency of bowing out when he found his YT channel named "OracleDBVision" had an exact copy of my company's name (created in 1989 and still going!). Still, I really hope his health hasn't suffered from excessive exposure to cosmic rays due to his frequent and long flying hours.
Yup, those rays exist and are lethal! Main reason why jet liner pilots have a limited pro lifespan, although not a single airline company will ever admit to that very simple (scientific? ;) ) truth!

Hang in there - this too shall pass and some sense will come back to the database universe. Be that with Oracle or something else, irrelevant. Received on Mon Dec 25 2017 - 07:56:03 CET

Original text of this message