Re: SQL Server on Linux

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 15:23:46 +1000

On 30/05/2016 10:38 _at_wiz, Mladen Gogala wrote:

> dangerous competitor. Oracle did not win the "Queen of Hearts" title with
> their licensing raids and exorbitant prices, so they cannot count on the
> customer loyalty.

Bingo. Been the db of choice where I work for 25 years. Not anymore. The lack of ANY stability in 12c and all its ancillary options and extras is now beyond the joke! M$ is not much better, but at least they LISTEN when told to shape up and they don't charge us an arm and a leg to do so.

> They have even managed to estrange many of the
> professionals and consultants who have helped spread Oracle in the early
> days.

Ah yes - count me in.
Helped jump them from nothing to $100M in 4 years back in the mid-80s. Employee #6 in Australia, left in 1990 - when they decided we were all incompetent and high-time "proper UK people" took over from the "dirty, uneducated colonials and migrants".

[Quoted] Funny how they never grew as much since then. Wonder why, with all the geniuses helping?...

[Quoted] Since around 98 they started to abuse licensing and since 2009 they've been a joke, around here. To the point where they can't even get enough attendees Australia-wide to run a yearly conference!...

If M$ wipes the Linux floor with them,they got only themselves - and Catz and Hurd - to blame! Received on Tue May 31 2016 - 07:23:46 CEST

Original text of this message