Re: SQL Server on Linux

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 12:38:57 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 29 May 2016 00:11:27 +0000, Cujo DeSockpuppet wrote:

> But M$ isn't all that cheap. Expensive Edition (Enterprise) is 7k a core
> but a 2 core package is 10K from our vendor. Standard Edition has a
> "soft"
> 128GB memory limit and is 2K per core.

You are not comparing apples to apples. With all the necessary options and packs, Oracle license can cost around $50K/core. Multi-tenant option, partitioning, advanced compression and diagnostics + performance tuning, in addition to EE license have the list price of $50K/core. Compared to that, SQL Server EE with $7k/core is dirt cheap. With SQL Server EE, you can create a partitioned table without an extra cost and you get all the necessary tools for tuning and diagnostics. You can also create as many databases as you wish, without paying extra. I am not sure whether SQL Server can compress large objects and tables like Oracle, but it likely can do something similar. The same goes for DB2 which has the native ability to execute PL/SQL code. Oracle costs several times more than either of those databases. While IBM sales is not doing a swell job on Linux and Windows, Microsoft has managed to practically wipe out Oracle on Windows. If SQL Server really comes to Linux, it will be a very [Quoted] dangerous competitor. Oracle did not win the "Queen of Hearts" title with their licensing raids and exorbitant prices, so they cannot count on the [Quoted] customer loyalty. They have even managed to estrange many of the professionals and consultants who have helped spread Oracle in the early days.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer