Re: Is there anybody using this discussion group at all?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 18:44:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 10:57:56 AM UTC+10, Mladen Gogala wrote:

> geek, of the old school. That is why I will never become a member of that
> fabled furniture store, "The Oak Table", and I will probably never become
> an "Oracle Ace". Tanel is now a CEO of a company, which is not my
> ambition. I do, however, wish both him and Gluent the best of luck.

Indeed. I don't mind the Oak Table. A few folks there are quite good and very helpful, consistently. Others are just non-events or marketeers and I have to question the why of their presence. Even the oracle-l list has become a joke with a "pack of jumping troll monkeys" pouncing on any dissenting voice. Oracle "ACEs"? That notion was started by an Oracle Java "evangelist" (who has since left, of course!) with less practical knowledge about databases than an overgrown gnat. Interesting the number of folks who have thrown in the towel from the ACE circus in the last 3 years. And there will be a lot more soon...

Initially it was reserved only for Java folks. It was only when everyone yelled at Oracle to stop the nonsense that dbas and other database only folks started to be included. Then it was promoted as a certificate for "dba competence". Then it became a certificate for "evangelists". Then whatever needed to be "certified" could only be through membership of the club. In professional terms: a joke. I'd feel insulted if I became a member. Hence why I point blank refused it. A coupla times. Besides, I hate flying and that appears to be a pre-condition. Not for much longer, mind you: the "pot of gold" is drying up...

But of course others enjoy that sort of thing. It's their right and I'm the first to respect it. Just don't ask me to respect the title: I can't do that. [Quoted] [Quoted] Like you, I wish Tanel all the best with his new company. Not sure what it does but likely not very important to my circles. Received on Thu May 12 2016 - 03:44:21 CEST

Original text of this message