Re: Redgate Video about incremental X-plaform backup

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 14:49:45 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 22:07:10 +1100, Noons wrote:

> On 20/03/2015 10:28 AM, tanel_at_poderc.com wrote:
>

>> I can't stand someone thinking that they're better than all the rest
>> of us and get away with such patronizing comments.

> Really? Isn't that an entire sum up of the Enkitec/oaktable/ace circus?

Well, not exactly. Since the beginning of the crusade against DBA personnel, there is also an idea that DBA consulting should be done by the very special group of people, like the lollipop guild from the Wizard of Oz. Basically, if you are an Oracle ACE, certified master, member of the Oak Table and work for Enkitec or Pythian, then you can ask for $300/hr or so the story goes.
As the story of a very recent "Oracle ACE (ret)" shows, there are also very strict rules of conduct. Not willing to adhere to those rules, I have given up "Oracle performance tuning" as a consulting area and am now devoted to backup & recovery infrastructure. I also have expanded a bit, I now also do DB2, which is an excellent database. For one, you don't have to pay to create a table partitioned by range in DB2. The status of a "Oracle ACE, certified Oracle Master, member of the Oak Table and an Enkitec employee" ensures the status of a sacred cow. My problem is that I have never been good around cows, sacred or not, and have viewed them mostly as source of hamburgers. Not to frighten Tanel, this is not a threat, I am not Hannibal Lecter.
The goal of this whole circus is to create a group of "certified consultants" which will also tow the company line. By the "company", I mean "Oracle Corp." Any attempt to question anything done by the sacred cows provokes hysterical reactions. I am not paid by Oracle Corp. or Enkitec and see no reason to tow the company line.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer