Re: I hate to say this, but...

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 21:32:47 -0800 (PST)

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 5:02:09 AM UTC+11, joel garry wrote:

> While none of us may be Amazon, I certainly wouldn't say there isn't a high-end database machine market. I mean, there are still use cases where the Fedex truck full of disks hurtling down the highway is the minimum bandwidth necessary: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/jan/02/Annai-Systems-Illumina-Agouron-DNA-gene-sequencing/

Sure. But it is a vertical, small market by its very nature. Problem was Oracle 6 years ago embarked on a lunatic strategy of convincing the world that EVERYONE needed one - or more.

And NO (entirely agreed!): we are NOT all amazon/ebay/freakinwhatever!

Result? A (proverbial)load of customers with the original Exadata-on-HP purchased at a ridiculous and outrageous mark-up, now stuck with a technology that is a dead-end.

As in: the only way to upgrade or expand is to go with a totally different software and hardware technology emulating the same thing, AGAIN at a ridiculous and outrageous mark-up.

And by the looks of it, one also destined to oblivion in 5 years time.

Result? Not ONE of them sold in Australia in the entire 2014 (other than 2013 left-over orders) and a bucket-load of gov and priv customers looking elsewhere for their db software and hardware needs.

If this is not suicidal strategy and marketing, I don't know what is...

Ah yes, I forgot: the application cloud is going to resolve everything! That's why they are pushing EM12c as the "cloud control". Oh! Wait... Received on Tue Jan 06 2015 - 06:32:47 CET

Original text of this message