Re: An alternative to TOAD

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 17:23:26 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 21:35:44 +1100, Noons wrote:

> Give SQLDeveloper from Oracle a good trial.
> We use it almost exclusively and it's turned into a swell product over
> the years.
> The product manager is on twitter and regularly provides updates and
> news and hints from his blog which I find extremely useful.
> And,... it's free! ;)
> Only drawback I can point out is that it requires the Java8 SDK kit. But
> in all I have to admit this is one Java-based product I actually like a
> lot.

I am still using the good, old tora from time to time. I even have a script to make it and clean it up automatically if the make fails:

[mgogala_at_medo bin]$ cat make-tora
#!/bin/bash

function rm-tora() {

    echo "Removing /tmp/tora";
    rm -rf /tmp/tora
    sync;
}

mkdir -p /tmp/tora
cd /tmp/tora
svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/tora/code/trunk tora-code || exit -1 cd /tmp/tora/tora-code || exit -1
cmake -DBOOST_ROOT=/usr/include -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release tora make -j4 tora poracle || rm-tora

Unfortunately, the make fails pretty often. The latest revision also fails:

                                                ^
/tmp/tora/tora-code/tora/src/core/main.cpp:124:84: error: ‘ToConfiguration::Global’ has not been declared

         QString style(toConfigurationNewSingle::Instance().option (ToConfiguration::Global::Style).toString());

However, the last successfully compiled version works pretty well.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer