Re: Java 8

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 04:48:19 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 02:43:42 +0000, John D Groenveld wrote:

> In article <pan.2014.12.15.01.29.36_at_gmail.com>,
> Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>>I don't want to modify the shell script wrapper. I want to run
>>sqldeveloper. And I have no idea whether that is controlled in the shell
>>script or the jar file itself.

> I don't know about sqldeveloper, but most of the Java applications I
> have used included a shell script wrapper to set PATH and JAVA_HOME.
>
> John groenveld_at_acm.org

Path and JAVA_HOME are not enough, there is a version checking mechanism. And that is probably implemented in the jar file, not the shell script. The intention is obviously to force people to use Java 8. The idiom like

[ $JAVA_VERSION -gt "1.8.0" ] && $JAVA_HOME/bin/java -jar sqldeveloper.jar

would be an idiotic way of doing that. That is why I haven't even checked whether Oracle is doing that.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer