Re: Java 8

From: Peter Schneider <pschneider1968_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 20:45:39 +0100

Am 15.12.2014 17:58, schrieb joel garry:
> On Sunday, December 14, 2014 5:29:41 PM UTC-8, Mladen Gogala wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 00:05:54 +0000, John D Groenveld wrote:

>> and
>>>
>>> How could you break those applications by modifying sqldeveloper's
>>> shell script wrapper?
>>>
>>> John
>>> groenveld_at_acm.org
>>
>> I don't want to modify the shell script wrapper. I want to run
>> sqldeveloper. And I have no idea whether that is controlled in the shell
>> script or the jar file itself.
>>

> Perhaps they do it the same was as they did in 4.0: http://www.thatjeffsmith.com/archive/2013/12/oracle-sql-developer-4-windows-and-the-jdk/
>
> That Jeff Smith (Senior Product Manager All High Hoo Haw for sqldeveloper) is active on the forums and twitter as well. I've observed he takes most all questions and suggestions in stride.

I second that. I had questions regarding SQL Developer and Data Modeler a couple of times on the OTN forums, and they have been answered by Jeff and his team members just one or two hours later. I really appreciate how responsive and helpful Jeff and his team are. Also, his blog articles on new features are great.

It is wonderful that Jeff is so eager to move these tools forward and to be helpful for its users. Other companies/support organizations should take this as an example of how to treat their users, especially when you think about the fact that SQL Developer comes free with the DB license and so Oracle is not making an extra buck out of it.

Kudos and thanks to Jeff for that! (in case you're reading here, too!)

Regards
Peter

--
Climb the mountain not to plant your flag, but to embrace the challenge,
enjoy the air and behold the view. Climb it so you can see the world,