Re: Oracle 7.3.4 + SCO OpenServer 5.0.4 : Good idea?

From: <richard.rankin_at_ieee.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 14:40:22 -0800 (PST)

On Wednesday, April 14, 1999 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Marcus Soares wrote:
> HI!
>

> We are considering buying SCO OpenServer 5.0.4 to run Oracle 7.3.4 (which we already have).
> Anyone here uses this combination? Is it stable? Any problems?
>

> Thanks,
> Marcus Soares

What do you mean by "have"? You can't have an existing support contract so at most you paid for Oracle once upon a time. Since you are considering acquiring SCO to run Oracle I assume you are not currently running your Oracle database on SCO. From that I conclude that the version of Oracle you "already have" is not Oracle for SCO. Since the Oracle RDBMS code is platform specific, the version you have will not run on SCO. I don't know what you are running it on but it is not SCO so unless you've had Oracle 7 for SCO in a closet for 10 years and not running a different version of Oracle on a different OS, I fail to see any reason to buy SCO unless you want to throw some money away in which case you should simply send the money to me. The alternative would be to buy SCO and a version of Oracle which which will run on it. Additionally you may have to purchase hardware to run it on unless both SCO and Oracle 7 for SCO will run on current hardware, which I doubt and you certainly won't be able to get any support should you have problems running Pentium software on a quad-core Xeon. Perhaps you have legacy hardware in the closet with the Oracle for SCO neither of which you are you using. Rather than buying SCO Unix for your copy of Oracle all of which will likely be incompatible, perhaps you should consider getting Linux for free or nearly free and spend your money on a supported version of Oracle for Linux and get an inexpensive Intel box to run it on. Perhaps there is some clarification you can provide which will alter my reasoning. Or Mladen can find a flaw in my reasoning. Received on Sun Dec 14 2014 - 23:40:22 CET

Original text of this message